Wednesday 18 January 2012

Day 18

Distance Run: None
Total Distance Run for January: 30.22 miles
Other Exercise: Football (Five-a-side for Real Unfit - 38 minutes)

  To really experience and enjoy the highs of sport (and life), one must really experience and suffer the lows. Having recently finished Matthew Syed's excellent book "Bounce", I have a greater understanding of the psychology of sporting success and failure. That's about the only positive I can derive from tonight's horrow show.
  The second match of the Real Unfit season, as we attempt to better our tally of W1 D2 L7 from our debut campaign, ended in a 1-10 defeat. I've gone on record as saying that a poor goalkeeper will be exposed at five-a-side - and I proved that tonight. Having not played well last week, I was keen to start the match well, keep the game tight, and build some pressure on the superior opposition. Instead, I conceded a somewhat freak own goal within the opening minute - one of our players grappling with an opponent whilst chasing the ball back towards our goal in the centre of the pitch, got to the ball first but firmly drove the ball low to my left & I couldn't react. A second goal followed from their first real shot - out to the left of my D the forward struck the ball sweetly high at my near post whilst I was falling away to cover the shot across goal. Obviously if I stay motionless the ball hits me, and I don't look so stupid. The third was a poor error, failing to get two hands to a long low strike barely left of centre, and another two goals came with me getting my left hand to the shot but failing miserably to keep it out. 1-6 at HT and utterly crushed.
  As was the plan, I played in defence for the second half - leaving Paul (not a keeper, but willing to give it a try) between the sticks. My only positive was putting in a good shift defensively, although going forwards I was quite hapless and missed a 1 v 1 by dragging a side-footed shot wide of the near post. It'll take some time and practice to gel in the outfield with some new players, and we only had 6 tonight which left everyone knackered, but to stand any chance of a positive result I need to play much better. That feeling of wanting to kick everything in sight, of letting a team down, and just wanting to avenge a poor performance - I don't like it! I'm back in goal tomorrow night though, and can moan about that and more with Simon at the pub quiz afterwards.

Injuries: Just knackered
Mood: Grrrrrrr!

  My brother mentioned a homemade coffee cake he concocted with his girlfriend the other day. I don't deserve it, but I'm going to take a slice before bed. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment