Thursday 5 January 2012

Day 5

Distance Run: None
Total Distance Run for January: 7.55 miles
Other Exercise: Football (Five-a-side goalkeeping for Haringey Yacht Club - 50 minutes)


  More football today, and a difficult match as expected. Our first "proper" game in Division 2 was against a side who lost their opening fixture, but soon demonstrated they could play well. The weather conditions were, thankfully, nothing like last night, and you don't feel the cold after a while. Except in your fingers wearing damp gloves, anyway. I felt in good form after last night, and was generally solid from the off - whilst the team took a while to get going. Once everyone settled down, the usual pattern of play followed - our side do most of the attacking, whilst the opposition defend increasingly deep and close down space. Hard work to gain a 2-0 lead was undone with a couple of sloppy minutes late in the half, as the ball flew past me twice at pace. 2-2 at HT, having had the better chances, was disappointing. More of the same followed after the break, with persistence earning a 3-2 lead, which was held until 15 minutes remained with me mopping up anything that broke through our defence. The opposition still looked good on the break though, and equalised with a large element of fortune - a probing pass to an unmarked man near the left of my area was barely intercepted by a defender, but the ball ricocheted off his leg into the centre-right of my goal. Had I still been there that wouldn't have been a problem, but I'd already advanced left to block the unmarked striker that nearly received the ball. Shit happens, and despite then continuing to miss a shedload of chances we regained the lead again with 9 minutes left, and finished 6-3 victors - the opposition having 2 players given 2-minute sin-bins for persistent fouling. As games went it was a good test of what's to come, and more satsifying than beating clearly inferior players. Another 12 wins and I'll have another trophy for my collection. :)

Injuries: Ok but achey everywhere
Mood: Ill

  Having begun to sniffle yesterday, I am definitely coming down with "something" - which puts the daily Janathon exercise plan in mild jeopardy. I feel pretty good right now though, so it seems Lemsip & honey have worked a treat. I'll see how things are tomorrow, because a 2 mile run of some description would be useful. Having spent most of Nov & Dec feeling a bit rough, I won't take any undue risks though.

No comments:

Post a Comment