Tuesday 10 January 2012

Day 10

Distance Run: None
Total Distance Run for January: 21.72 miles
Other Exercise: Wii Fit Plus - 20 minutes

  The ten day mark brought with it a welcome gift, with a nerdy analogy. One of my favourite computer games growing up was the Legend of Zelda series, which is an RPG along the lines of "get item - kill bad guy - get another item - kill another bad guy - eventually get all items and kill the final bad guy - win". To progress in the game was often impossible until a certain task was completed - often involving finding a new item and/or killing a new bad guy. Simple, but there was a certain logic to it all - the game made sense, and if it didn't seem to then a rational explanation was the answer. Wtf does this have to do with my waking up with a painful foot and sore calf muscles? Well, with Zelda-like timing, the Pedi Roller I won from a Helsie competition last year arrived in the post. I actually heard the "do doo dooo dooooo" noise  from Zelda in my head (which denoted finding a new item in the game - not that this will make any sense to almost anyone).
  I slowly regained the ability to walk without looking too special throughout the day, but attention has turned to the causes behind my pain. I wear shoes which counteract a minor overpronation, but they're the same shoes I've worn without any trouble for months (including the half marathon in October). My suspicion is over-striding due to a low turnover as the run progressed, which increased impact stress and resulted in an unhealthy heel-strike. Coupled with finishing up a hill (which, I realised, I'm not used to on an especially long run). Additionally, I haven't done any lengthy runs just two days after a run previously for some time, and my legs have done "some" exercise daily for almost a fortnight. There may be one or two other factors as well.
  Injury worries are normal, and the biggest concern, naturally, is putting myself back in hospital. After rupturing my right achilles tendon in Jun 10, in very innocuous circumstances, it took two operations and weeks of antibiotics before I could begin learning to walk, then jog, and finally run again. Obviously life away from pounding pavements is hugely inconvenienced as well! There isn't a guide on how far to push your body before it breaks, and some pain/discomfort is required for the body to repair and strengthen itself for an increased challenge. I am adopting a strategy of pedi-rolling (it's already proven it's worth to me!), ice, an electronic massager, gentle stretching and rest. However, I have got through a 20 minute session on Wii Fit to keep my daily routine intact. Apart from gaining two pounds since Sunday (despite a run), everything else is in working order

Injuries: Same as yesterday, but some improvement
Mood: Peckish

  Tomorrow brings another stint of football, and I expect to be fine to play in goal. I will miss a chunk of the Man City v Liverpool cup-tie though, but playing will usually beat watching anyway. Three weeks of daily exercise and blogging to come - it feels like a lot, but it was 2011 a few minutes ago...

1 comment:

  1. It makes complete sense to me.

    This coupled with getting exactly what Jimmy meant about a Mario pirhana flower does make me wonder about the state of my mind.

    ReplyDelete