Friday 27 January 2012

Day 26

Distance Run: None
Total Distance Run for January: 42.55 miles
Other Exercise: Football (Five-a-side goalkeeping for Haringey Yacht Club - 50 minutes)


  As expected, I had no time to blog yesterday - so this is being typed up late on Friday night. The sporting action, as always on a Thursday, took place at Mill Hill. Having got through the working day, it was my turn to drive down for the 7:30 start. Rushing typically late, I managed to screw-up before I'd even driven myself, Gareth and my brother to the match; rolling the Micra exceptionally gently into the car infront at a set of lights. My mind just wasn't on the ball at all, and I don't think I've ever touched another vehicle on the road - but I must stress the minimalistic impact here. At a set of lights which had turned green, but which don't stay green for long, the car infront of me released the brake and accelerated slightly to roll forwards before braking again. I did likewise, except I didn't brake again, and as the vehicle infront didn't stop braking I went into his bumper at a speed less than 1mph. I knew there was no damage to either vehicle as neither appeared to be made of plasterceine, but after a lengthy pause a larger than me black gentleman stepped out of the vehicle to inspect the collision. I wound down my window and apologised, and didn't initially here what he was muttering. After straining my ear I deduced it was along the lines of "What you do in this situation is get out of the car and inspect for any damage". I was quite pissed off for a number of reasons - at myself for not braking of course, but also for the suggestion that the impact had done anything at all. Realising the driver infront hadn't stopped braking, I released my handbrake and reversed slightly at the same time as he asked me to do so. What he expected to see from my Micra no longer touching his car I don't know, but he thankfully got back in his car and drove off....indicating to turn left whilst making his left turn at the lights we'd queued at - I was going straight and would've used the right hand lane if he'd bothered indicating in the queue, just to rub it in. Tbh I felt pretty stupid for absent-mindedly not braking - I think I both expected him to start moving forwards again and thought there was still space between us, but thankfully no extremely spurious insurance claim against me was filed.
  Either way, the incident left me feeling jaded, and not in the best frame of mind for a big football game. The lateness, coupled with my sensibly getting some good stretching done before the exertions of the match, meant I didn't have much time to practice ball-drills and sharpen my reflexes for the game. In the end this didn't matter, and I had a near faultless first half. Up against a fellow unbeaten side who would overtake us if they won, we worked hard for a 3-0 lead - everyone chipping in with contributions. I boosted my confidence with some early stops, and positioned myself well for a 1 v 1 as the attacker looked to run around me before shooting, only to realise that I'd covered that option well. One of my throwouts found Chris down the left wing, which took two opponents out of the game - allowing him to run unchallenged before setting up my brother for his much-wanted birthday goal. There was a sense of frustration as my goal was finally breached by a long-range drive across to my right side - which I got a hand to but couldn't keep out - with the half time whistle blowing within two minutes. Gutting for me, but as a team we looked well set in the game. The start of the second half was more even, with both sides creating some chances. The opposition, Bantalona, were keen to strike shots on target at every opportunity, and unfortunately for me they shot hard and accurately on a regular basis. It did enable me to make one of my finest saves since my schooldays though, as one effort from the centre of the pitch was driven on the instep towards my top-left corner - only I couldn't see it due to a crowd of players in the way. I knew the shot had taken place as I saw it leave his foot, and had an idea where it was going from all the information available to me, and through luck and skill threw my body and outstretched left hand at the right place to keep it out. When most of the players within earshot are audibly impressed (using industrial lanaguage, mind) then it's clear I'd done well. This prevented the score being 3-2, and allowed us to push on to a 6-2 lead. What followed after that was not pretty, but not unexpected either. Not long after the ball was smashed at my near post whilst I hopefully anticipated a cross-goal shot, and another soon followed as a player cut in from the right and struck left-footed across me into the net - 6-4. Bantalona galvanised, and we couldn't keep hold of the ball - made worse by the tendency to push forwards for goals and get picked off needlessly on the counter. Another long range strike was well hit from the centre down to my left, during which my shouting had focussed on not letting them shoot like that - the ball dipping low and getting past me for 6-5. Ludicrously, we kicked off and conceded an equaliser within 10 seconds - I hadn't even seen the kick-off but a misunderstanding meant someone lost possession and an opponent nipped in to kick past me when I'd only just regained my feet and stepped left to offer the obvious pass-back option. It was a crushing experience, and left everyone rattled - including Gareth, who was a sub at the time. There was still time in the game though, and it was Gareth who restored the lead with a fine finish, leaving us to hold on for 2 1/2 minutes. Simple? Of course not. It later transpired Gareth thought it was 7-7, so rather than man-mark he stayed in space to try and score on the counter, whilst everyone else dug deep to desperately block and shot or chance they could. With almost the last kick of the game, I was forced to advance to the edge of the area as an unmarked attacker went to retrieve the ball on my right. He managed to cross the ball out to the left to a teammate with me scrambling forlornly back towards the goalline...but rushed into a first-time shot, the opponent connected poorly and sent the ball off-target straight into my grateful body. Full time followed less than 30 seconds later, and an enjoyable game had an enjoyable result - another tough challenge overcome, albeit after making it harder for ourselves than it need've been. My brother had his birthday win (and had to work for it too), and we made it P5 W5 and 5 points clear of 2nd place. 8 more wins from 9 will guarantee another title, and 7 wins will be promotion. It takes our form to W23 D1 L1 as well. Next week we face the only side to beat us in the last 5 1/2 months - can't wait.
  Simon withdrew from attending the quiz this week, and I was happy to have a breather anyway. My body needed some rest, and I knew I'd sleep well ahead of Friday. Last week Friday just snuck up on me, but this week I was craving the weekend.

Injuries: Body took a battering all over blocking shots - pain in most places
Mood: Battered

  Friday would bring the Andy Murray v Novak Djokovic SF and some more Wii Fit...

No comments:

Post a Comment