Monday 23 January 2012

Day 23

Distance Run: None
Total Distance Run for January: 42.55 miles
Other Exercise: Exercise Bike - 45 minutes, 23.5k, gear 5 (of 8)

  The conclusion of this entry will see just 8 days of the Janathon challenge remaining. I'm currently at the point where blogging is very much a chore, and fitting in exercise for the sake of it isn't much fun either. I appreciate the benefits of the latter though as it's a good routine to get into, but blogging? The chances of my coming back to read individual entries such as this are slim, and whilst running entries will be of future benefit it does take some of the fun away from just exercising. All that said - I'm still going, and I'll see it out.
  I had to rule out Monday night football for the second time in three weeks, and again at fairly late notice. My left calf was strapped to an ice pack overnight, but when I woke up it was even sorer than before. If my life depended on it then I could've put in a football shift, but as I couldn't comfortably walk down stairs without a disturbing "Childcatcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" hobble to compensate for a non-functioning calf, it would've been really stupid to do any further damage. The positive is that my left calf (and the right one, which is tender but ok) will heal up stronger, and I'm better over-working them through running with better technique than damaging my shins and/or achilles and/or joints from overstriding. I'd prefer to play football, but marathon training comes at a price.
  Having done Wii Fit yesterday, I opted to try the exercise bike. Back in Oct & Nov 2010, during my physiotherapy recovery stage, I acquired the exercise bike and vented my frustration out on it to good effect. I was convinced it was helping restore my lost right calf muscle, but the physio pointed out that it tends to work the upper leg muscles more (if not entirely). It turns out she has a valid point, as I was able to pedal pain-free despite my difficulty walking. I put in a 45 minute shift to the accompaniment of University Challenge and Morocco v Tunisia at the African Cup of Nations. By the end, having put in the standard sprint finish, I'd reached 23.5k, knackered both legs and soaked my shirt in sweat. Good to have a bit of variety though.

Injuries: Left calf a concern. Ice overnight again.
Mood: Blogged Out

  I'd like to do a quick-pace run tomorrow evening, but this depends on the calf. With football on Wed and Thu to come, I may have to settle for just Wii Fit again. Either way, the end of Janathon is in sight!

No comments:

Post a Comment